The Rekenrek Book...
The second book in this series,
Learning to Think Mathematically
is now complete!
To learn more about this book, as well as other books in Dr. Frykholm's
Visit our NEW WEBSITE at:
Dr. Jeff Frykholm
This book introduces teachers to a powerful tool called the Rekenrek. Children use the rekenrek to:
- develop one-to-one correspondence;
- develop a solid undersatnding of fives and tens;
- recognize the sturcture of our base-ten system;
- "decompose" numbers based on familiar number groups;
- see "inside" numbers, recognizing for example that 7 is "5 and 2 more";
- develop powerful intuitive strategies for addition and subtraction;
- become adept at using strategies like doubling, halving, adding on, etc.
is a growing body of research suggesting the importance of the number
line as a tool for helping children develop greater flexibility in
mental arithmetic as they actively construct mathematical meaning,
develop number sense, come to understand number relationships, and
develop powerful strategies for adition and subtraction. Find out
how effective this tool can be... The number line is much more
than a gool for counting to 100! Interested? Order here...